Monday, December 29, 2008

What to Expect

I am a recent graduate from Arizona State University who studied philosophy of religion and absolutely fell in love with the topic. I really enjoy what I study and I love to talk about it with people, hence why I decided to start this blog. My hopes are that people can respectfully discuss controversial topics with an open mind. I consider myself to be a respectable person and I dislike when people try to forcefully push their beliefs on me; henceforth, I don't do it to other people. But as I am working to become a professor, I feel it is, to an extent, my job to inform people of rational arguments. I have always been one to believe that if you have a belief you must be able to rationally back it up. I will admit that I was unable to do this at the beginning of my career, but philosophy is a strong passion of mine now, and I realize the importance of reason behind an argument. Throughout my college career I wrote a magnitude of papers and researched a vast variety of topics within philosophy of religion. The two papers I am most proud of were completed in my last year of being an undergrad. In these blogs I will attempt to break down the main concepts of these papers. To begin, I will discuss my thesis from my last semester, which is against religious pluralism (the belief that all the religions are their own form of the truth leading to a god), ultimately proving the existence of God without scripture. This is done by using General Revelation: knowledge about God that is known to all people at all times. As we move forward with these discussions I will begin to talk about the previous paper I wrote about finding a common ground, specifically between Christianity and Islam. Sometime in the near future I will then be working on the third part to these papers which will hopefully define which scripture is the correct to follow and how we are to know this. My goal is not to come across as arrogant, but I do believe that we, as rational beings, have the ability, and capability to find a commonality between the many diverse religions and that there must be a single path leading us all to the same end. I believe that there is, but the issues we run into, are that some people may be too caught up in their own worlds and their own beliefs that they don’t listen or care to listen to other rational arguments. I'm glad that you are here to read my blog and that you will take the appropriate steps to respectfully respond and take the opportunity to open your eyes to my arguments. These entries may tend to be a bit lengthy, and complicated, so take your time reading them to be sure you really understand them. Thanks for stopping by and I hope to be hearing from you soon!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Meg! Glad to see you have started your blog. I like what you have to say and I am interested to see more.

    You know that I appreciate healthy debate (so long as nobody cuts it off (o: ), but I think that you and I may be on the same page on many of the topics that you will discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eagerly await your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan its great you are doing this i didnt understand all of it but what i did understand suited you in how we know you.
    You cant save the whole world ,but i do think there should be more people like you ta take time and talk and try to solve problems this way
    keep up the good work
    Ringo

    ReplyDelete