Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Final Thoughts on GR, SR and the Existence of God

Using the reason within human nature, through general revelation is enough to show us that some things are clear, specifically about the nature of the Eternal. Although, there has been a rejection of general revelation, thus requiring there to be more knowledge, this found in scripture, but because scripture presupposes the existence of God, it is a necessity to learn the essentials from general revelation. I am not undermining the importance of redemptive revelation and sacred scripture; however, I am implying the importance to strive to have wisdom about the Eternal before one relies solely on scripture. With this said, because general revelation is available to all persons at all times, when studied rationally and properly, as I have done thus far, we will find there is a rightful path to follow, and that not all religions lead to the same Ultimate Truth, as John Hick states. A foundation must be established in order to find a commonality within the world’s different religions; general revelation is that foundation.

Skeptics believe that we cannot know about the Eternal because it is not clear, but now, with an understanding of general revelation, we come to see that this knowledge is clear. While knowing what is clear about the Eternal, brings meaning to life, because if nothing is clear then there can be no meaning. This meaning must be sought for; otherwise humans are living a meaningless, empty life. In Anselm’s preface to the Proslogion he states:

“I do not try, Lord, to attain Your lofty heights, because my understanding is in no way equal to it. But I do desire to understand your Truth a little, that truth that my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand so that I May believe, but I believe so that I may understand. For I believe this also, that “unless I believe, I shall not understand” (6).

Understanding and seeking knowledge about the world and what is clear about the Eternal (God), puts meaning into one’s life. For what we can know about the Eternal from general revelation is that there must be something eternal. For one to deny this argument, one would have to give up reason. As reason and rationality are our gifts of being human, it would be shameful to deny this assumption. But on the contrary, this is precisely why there are distortions within different religions. My claim is that if everyone thought critically and sought to understand the nature of God through general revelation, it would be clear that there can be a commonality, a correct path to attain the knowledge of God. Religious pluralism only delays conflicts we have in the world, it does not solve them. It does not solve these disputes precisely because not all religions lead to the same Ultimate Reality. Once general revelation is understood, clarity is found, leading one to know how to live and understand special revelation. But special revelation can never be fully comprehended until one accepts and values the necessity of general revelation to know the nature of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment